Thursday, November 18, 2010

Just a Glimpse from my Weekend...

I'm exhausted (in a good way) from a week away from home. My incredibly servant-hearted mom, flew in from Virginia one week ago Tuesday to keep the kids so that I would have the opportunity to participate in two trips back to back. It was her first time to meet her new grandson, Eyasu (a.k.a. "I'm Joshua"). The first and most important thing he wanted to do was have grandma play basketball with him... :-)
Last Wednesday, Tony and I flew to Raleigh, NC for a couple nights... the first time in 13 months to have 2 nights away together with no children. It was a wonderful time of fellowship, with old friends and new friends, as well as some 'decompressing' for me. I have to say, one of my greatest struggles now, I suppose, is feeling like I have an A.D.H.D. brain induced by caring for a family of seven. :-) God is my provider and sustainer to the praise of His glorious grace! We stayed with friends, the Robinsons, in Wake Forest... I actually got to sleep in on friday and enjoy some quiet time with this fabulous mug (see below).... Psalm 42...
Friday afternoon, Tony and I went our separate ways: Tony home for the weekend and me to Washington, D.C. for a leadership summit with the International Justice Mission.... What an honor and humbling opportunity to be a part of!
Saturday night, my dad drove up to take us (Kate & I) out to dinner... work kept him back in Virginia, so it was great it worked out to end up seeing him... what an added bonus! I have the most wonderful parents in the world... just saying... :-)
It was another treat to get to room for the weekend and share the entire experience with my good friend, Kate... my world traveling partner... we've been to England, N. Africa, S. Korea, Vietnam and Cambodia together! So appreciate her heart for the nations and the glory of God!
We ended the summit at one of my favorite restaurants in the district - Tortilla Coast! Yum!
Monday morning we loaded up the luggage van which I just had to take a picture of Erica taking care of us... loving the wood paneling! Then, we headed to the State Department's Trafficking in Persons office (G/TIP)...
This was definitely one of the highlights from the weekend...


We each received our own 8lb copy of the 2010 Trafficking in Persons report (you can click on the e-version in the right hand column to explore its informative contents)...


Just had to get a mugshot...


Following our visit at the State Department, we spent the morning and afternoon lobbying with our individual state representatives on legislation that aims particularly at protecting children from exploitation (see S.3184/Child Protective Compact Act). I had the fortune of having a sweet college student/IJM intern from Texas accompany me to my Mississippi senate offices. We had fun working off some nervous energy through laughter meandering the halls of congress. When our meetings were complete and our stomachs growling, we decided to reward our efforts with the most amazing cupcake I've ever seen.... mint chocolate chip... in the words of my younger son, "Wow, mama wow."
Dad picked me up on the Hill and took me over to the airport where we enjoyed a latte before my flight. Tony and I actually met up in Dallas for our shared flight back to Gulfport. He had been in Corpus Christi participating at the Texas Baptist Convention. We made it back just before midnight Monday night. Praising the Lord for His safe travel mercies...

Well, it's past my bedtime and the busyness doesn't end... on the contrary I suppose... it is just beginning... :-) I hope to find time in the next 48 hours to post a overview from my presentation Wednesday evening at TBC's Global Gathering on the issue of human trafficking. So, stay tuned for more information on the subject and ways to get involved in combatting modern day slavery.

Meanwhile, one specific prayer request I'd like to share with you is for a dental procedure being performed on friday (11/19) for Eyasu in the morning. Please pray that the doctor(s) will be able to successfully clean out the infection in his gums above his front two teeth. Pray that their efforts and the procedures that will follow (in the months ahead) would ultimately enable them to save his front two permanent teeth from falling out. Thank you so much!

No comments: