Tuesday, December 6, 2011

12 Days of Freedom

"Seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause." Isaiah 1:17

Many of you know my heart for justice ministry. For me, doing justice is a matter of obedience to the very nature of who God is and how we (as image bearers) as well as the Church (as God's redeemed people) are to reflect Him. We are to show and tell the world what God is like - His character and redeeming love - in word and deed. We do this for the good of a broken world and for the glory of our Great God.

One way this Christmas you can do something is by shopping for a cause. Let me introduce you to a wonderful organization called Freeset by sharing the story of Rani...


Rani

Trafficked into this red light area, Rani felt that she had totally lost her identity and lived with a great sense of both shame and fear. She recalls with some emotion that one day while standing in line waiting for customers, two people from Freeset stopped to talk to her, “Kerry asked me my name. He asked me if I was given a better choice, would I take it or not? I said ‘yes’... I joined Freeset immediately and after 3 months I became a permanent staff member.”

Rani needed to move out of the area in which she was living for safety reasons but had no money at the time. Freeset arranged new accommodation on her behalf. Now she says, “I am doing very well at Freeset. I have been able to become a part of regular society since I joined Freeset. Before, I never had the courage or confidence to talk to any ‘regular’ people in society. Since working at Freeset I have developed the confidence within me so I can now boldly interact with anyone.”

While life still isn’t easy for her, Rani is adamant, “I never look back to the life I had before. I am a free person now.”
[Shop Freeset Bags here]
Freeset is located in Calcutta, India, helping to free women from human trafficking by providing them employment with dignity through sewing bags. Every woman is provided medical insurance, retirement, daycare for their children, classes to learn how to read and write, and three times the wage they would receive "in line." Join us every day December 1-12 in Freeset's Freedom Tour of 12 Days of Freedom with Freeset and become a part of the freedom story. Watch our video, shop our bags, change lives.

No comments: