Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Homework...

The kids are enjoying school, despite a few morning tears shed by my youngest on two of the four days thus far. Regarding the latter, it has been a mixed bag of emotions for me. On one hand, I hate to see tears in any of my kids eyes especially knowing they have suffered so much... while on another, it is a healthy sign of attachment for her to cry for her mama.... Wise counsel we once received said that sometimes the healthiest thing you can do in that situation is keep coming back for them at the end of the day to grant them the assurance they need... It is a sweet time going to pick them up each day... to be greeted with giant smiles, laughter and hugs - what joy! One day at a time, seeking God's grace to take each step... Thank you all for your continued prayers over our family and the starting of school!
After school was challenging today... (no doubt the first among many challenging days ahead)... This comes as no surprise, but actually fleshing it out is quite an experience... :) By the time after school activities were finished and we were home to eat dinner, it was 6:00 PM! Some of you reading can relate and then some! Have I mentioned that our kids (at least the girls) are slow eaters?!. Plus, Tony was gone for faculty workshops in New Orleans for these two days. So, shuffling the kids to eat, bathe and accomplish their homework was quite a chore! Try working one on one with four needy Russian speaking children trying to do English homework! It's also hilarious when you hold a Masters' degree and have trouble trying to figure out 4th grade homework! Reminds me of that show I would likely lose, "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" We're thankful our kids have great teachers! Praying for them in their challenging and vital occupations!


On a lighter note, I pulled out some ballet leotards for the girls to try on Monday afternoon. They needed some tender loving care after an exciting, exhaustive Monday back to school... Next week they start dance (and ask me everyday if today is the day for dance). It was precious watching them dance in their new outfits to Sara Groves' "I Saw What I Saw"... May they dance for HIS glory!


"Let them praise his name with dancing, making melody to him with tambourine and lyre! For the LORD takes pleasure in his people; he adorns the humble with salvation."
Psalm 149:3-4

4 comments:

momma B said...

Wonerful pictures, they are sooo beautiful. I relate to the 4th grade homework, when Lisa was gone to get Mercy last year and I stayed with the boys, Derara had homework every night and I had to call on Noah for help. Each day should get easier, the English will be the main thing. pray you enjoy your vist with Mom and Amanda and don't forget Peyton, the girls will love her. Momma B

Leslie G said...

I feel your pain with the homework. That has been a big challenge here too, not so much with the younger children, but the oldest.
There has been a fine line here between helping and doing too much. Lots of days they are just plain exhausted from school. Translating back and forth all day takes a lot a work. That eventually tapers off as they learn English better and don't have to translate back and forth in their heads.
If you haven't purchased a children's dictionary, I'd suggest one. Our's has been a big help.

You are doing a great job! :-)

Conethia and Jim Bob said...

I hear ya on the homework thing (and I only have the two kids to work with). If we finish homework and afterschool "runnings" by 7:30,
we tend to celebrate. With Aizley in ESL classes, she is missing Science in school so guess who is teaching that? BTW, do you remember all the things a plant needs to make food? Hang in there, mom.

junglemama said...

Yes homework is a challenge at first. I found that with all of my adopted children-- the first year was learning otbe in a family and learning the study habits, the language, the rules, etc. Next year they will be doing so much better!