Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Weekend

We decided to drive back from the beach Thursday evening so we could wake up in our own beds and prepare for the weekend. Here's the happy crew of travelers...
Tony took our girls Friday at noon to the IDC G3 sleepover (Imago Dei Church Girls' Growth Group). Meanwhile, I took the boys out for some chips and salsa, as well as errand running...
Friday evening, we dropped the boys off with friends and a babysitter (thanks again, Tiffany!) while we enjoyed an incredible night of worship and food: a Seder dinner at the Haugh's. It was a rich night. One of the most memorable Good Friday's I've ever experienced...

Later, we traded boys with the Sigmons: James stayed with Caleb
And Abraham stayed with Joshua
Saturday morning, Shauna and I hosted some IDC ladies at the Olde English Tea Room in downtown Wake Forest.

Judah was our token gentleman and behaved as one!
Grateful for these ladies...
We ALL took Saturday afternoon naps and then had project time: decorating eggs
James and papa building a bird house...

Before dinner, my Girls on the Run girls came with me on my jog (I'm halfway through my couch-to-5K training!)...
After the kids were in bed, I pulled out our dollar store baskets from 3 years ago and put a few items in them for their Easter morning surprise...
Stuffed a few eggs to hide (which Titus had to inspect)...
Then my parents arrived with Joy dog in tow!

Resurrection Sunday

Three years ago on a Friday (April 3, 2009), we received our phone call to be in the country of Ukraine for our appointment with the SDA the following Wednesday (April 8, 2009). On that day, as you know, the blessed reality that "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD" in Isaiah 55:8 washed over us anew. We had made our plans but our gracious God had established our steps to adopt four precious children from Ukraine. On that day, our eyes beheld our oldest son (and his siblings) for the very first time. This is the exact picture we saw:
Pre-worship breakfast at Panera Bread with papa...
Our IDC family celebrated two baptisms: Kensley
And James.

I tried to get all my tears out before but there were a few left... tears of joy. One day I hope to be able to post his video testimony that was presented beforehand... I have two home made videos I'll post below: one from my vantage point (at the keyboard on stage, i.e. behind them) and one from a friend seated.
After an amazing worship service, we enjoyed fellowship and food! Our growth group gathered for a few minutes to pray together. Judah is telling us to "shhh". Ha.
James loves his PopPop/Dedushka...
Family pictures was quite an ordeal afterwards. Here's a glimpse... interestingly, it was the girls who had to wait on the boys this time! Usually, it's the other way around.



Joshua was still tying his shoes...


Sun and shadows make things challenging...






PopPop started taking more artistic shots, so I followed behind him...




Tony had to get one snapped too... ha ha...
Time to change and search for Easter eggs!

Christ is risen! He is risen indeed!

Currently Reading
Just for fun I thought I'd include what I am currently reading. My mom met the author at Langley AFB and purchased her book. It is a captivating, gut-wrenching read and one I would recommend. Here's the synopsis...

"Swept from their industrious life of learning and enterprise in Phnom Penh, the Ky family was driven, along with millions of others, into the Cambodian countryside to fulfill Pol Pot's vision of a communist, agrarian society. Angkar, not a person or a political party but rather a goal, a zeal for the Communist ideal, a name for the collective effort, replaced the warm family life the Ky's had thrived in.

With an army consisting largely of illiterate, impoverished youth, easily incited to gratuitous, hateful violence against the relatively wealthy city dwellers, in the pattern of Stalin and Mao, Angkar began reshaping Khmer agriculture with forced labor. No measure of terror or bloodletting was spared for the sake of the goal. All the accomplished, influential people were sifted out so as not to spoil Angkar with their experience or education.

Employing barbarism so alien to the gentle Khmers, who hardly knew what was happening, Angkar stumbled along fruitlessly until the military intervention by neighboring Viet Nam ended the insanity and brought it all to light. This is the incredible, true stoy of the faith, endurance and courage it took to survive and escape THE SIEVE OF ANGKAR."

No comments: