Tuesday, August 28, 2012

School Starts

The Scripture verse,

"Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it." 
- Proverbs 22:6

is a weighty calling.  It is challenging.  It is tiring.  It has its ups and downs, joys and heartaches.  I confess: I struggle.  I am full of faults.  I am selfish.  I mess up (not to mention personally but in leading others as well!).

"But God..."

Don't you just love all the verses in Scripture that contain this phrase?!.  These verses often come to mind in times of adversity.  By His kindness, I'm reminded that God "crowns us with steadfast love and mercy" (Psalm 103:3b) and is the "God of all grace" (1 Peter 5:10).  So, because I stand in constant need of reminding, I thought I would also share a few verses with you before giving a quick overview of our first week back to school.  :-) May His Word wash over you and me wherever you are and whatever season of life you are in...

Here is one of my favorites!  Ephesians 2:1-10.  I have to share the whole passage.  I promise, the others will be shorter...
"And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience - among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.  But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ - by grace you have been saved - and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.  For by grace you have been saved through faith.  And this is not your own doing: it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

Remember Joseph's response to his brothers who had sold him into slavery years earlier in Genesis 50:20-21?
"'As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.  So do not fear; I will provide for you and your little ones.'  Thus he comforted them and spoke kindly to them."

  1 Corinthians 3:6-7,
"I planted, Apollos waters, but God gave the growth."

The love of God.  Romans 5:7-8,
"For one will scarcely die for a righteous person - though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die - but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
School supplies  = Check.
Clothes set out for first day = Check.
Lunch boxes ready to go = Check.
Alarm clocks set = Check.
Quality, one-on-one time = Where did the time go?!.

Come Sunday afternoon, early evening I was desperate for some quality, intentional time with each of my children.  I had a 2 hour window to squeeze it in and was determined.  Those 2 hours were a sweet mixture of two-by-two's and a one-on-one.  

 I took our two oldest out for Starbucks (I was in great need of a latte - ha).  We talked about 5th and 6th grade privileges and expectations, as well as shared fears and excitements.  Even as I type, I'm getting a bit misty-eyed.  My 3 year old babies are growing up!  Can't believe I have a middle schooler?!.  :-0
 These entertaining two helped run an errand for dog food.  What better than a visit to the pet store?  Joshua and I are alike in that we maintained a healthy distance from the snakes!
 Notice Victoria's crazed look and Eyasu's fake grin... oh, they make me smile.
 No, thank you.
 Birds on the other hand - lovely.
 One on one with my sweet Sophia...
 Topped the night off with greasy Sonic drive thru... then off to bed with heavy stomachs...
 My middle schooler... love him so...
We sat on the porch while he waited for the bus... 
 Tony gave him a big hug and offered some words of encouragement... 

 And then... the bus never came.
LOL is all I can say.
So, after the 40 minutes wait, Tony drove him to school...
Then these precious ones arose for breakfast and some devotion time.
 Jana made her hair 'fancy'...
 Sugar and spice and everything nice...
 My "not even 8 year old" is outgrowing everything.  I recently bought size 10 pants to end the flood expectations he kept having...
 Love walking to school... loaded down...

 In deep discussion, it would appear...
 Monday evening rest...

Tuesday - "take TWO" of trying to catch the bus...
Nope... it appeared come Tuesday afternoon and talking to bus driver, that there was a 25 minute misprint... 
 Walk to school, day 2... all sporting their new backpacks...



And so, another year begins...

1 comment:

Cath said...

They're all growing up so fast! I feel the same about my "4 year old baby" who's headed to grade 6 this year also. They all look so happy to be going back and mine is dreading it. LOL. New school just like James it seems. :) I love all the one on one photos...we've been doing the same thing.
Catherine