Thursday, September 1, 2011

Songs & Their Stories: "Be the Glory"

This December Tony and I will celebrate 8 years of marriage. I am more in love with him today than yesterday, my best friend and confidante. When Tony proposed back in April 2003, he quoted what had become our verse, Psalm 34:3. That has been and continues to be our marriage prayer...
"I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul makes its boast in the LORD; let the humble hear and be glad. Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together!"
Psalm 34:1-3
I joined him in New Orleans and began shopping for a used, full sized keyboard to use in our apartment on Ebay. I was so excited when it arrived, chipped key and all!
At that time I was re-reading A.W. Tozer's "The Knowledge of the Holy", trying to digest every page... When I came to this quote from Charles Wesley I couldn't move farther...
Earlier, Tony and I had had a conversation about Romans 11:33-36. Following dinner that night while Tony ran out with a friend, I sat down at my new used keyboard and wrote "Be the Glory"...

Be the Glory

Sovereign Father, Heavenly King
Thee we now presume to sing
Glad Thine attributes we confess
Glorious all and numberless!

From You, through You, to You are all things
From You, through You, to You be the glory

God of Justice, Merciful Lord
Your salvation none could afford
Word made flesh our sins You bore
We are free, enslaved no more!

From You, through You, to You are all things
From You, through You, to You be the glory

Image of the Invisible God
All creation to You applauds
Glorious Savior upon the throne
Oh to know You and make You known!

From You, through You, to You are all things
From You, through You, to You be the glory

"Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus, throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen."
Ephesians 3:20-21
(A snippet from TBC's Global Gathering sing & share last Spring)