Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hmm...What to share? :)

Tuesday marked our one month home from Ethiopia with our youngest son... I'm sitting on the porch this morning once again in awe of God's grace... I don't even know how to begin to share with you or provide a glimpse into our life (which I refer to with a grin, "zero to five in fifteen months" - ha)... There are a couple songs of Chris Tomlin's that have really resonated with me as of late... this portion in particular:
Like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, amazing grace
Bear with me as I ramble and reflect a bit...
Sunday was Eyasu's first day of "church school" - as my Ukrainian born children call it. Victoria and I went along with him. He stayed close but seemed to enjoy, especially with a couple other boys from his Kindergarten class there... familiar faces are most often a comfort... The kids mixed paint colors as an illustration of the glorious fact, "nothing shall be able to separate us from the love of God" (Romans 8:39)...
Monday evening I took the kids (who had been begging me to go) to get 'chips & salsa' - a family favorite. Tony was out of town a couple days for Leadership Network and I did not feel like cooking... :-)... so we loaded up... It was only on the way when it dawned on me, "Um, we've never taken Eyasu out to dinner since we've been home and I'm taking him without backup?!." Ha ha... I tried not to let that thought run wild... :-) The kids were great and Eyasu loved it! In fact, he did not want to leave until all his rice and beans were gone! And then, some generous soul picked up our tab! As soon as Eyasu finished his last bite (and would get up - ha!) we were off to drop James off at Flag Football practice... good times...
Progress...
* Homework time, though challenging, is a much more pleasant and enjoyable time together... we are getting into a groove AND my older four are really starting to "get it" :-). There has been a remarkable change this year in my oldest son's confidence level (he is repeating 4th grade with wonderful teachers around him and loving it!)... All I can say is, we've come a long way since last year! Eyasu is really enjoying Kindergarten as well...

* Patience and grace, on my part, has been a daily prayer request during homework time. A song has been welling in my heart with Philippians 4:19 as the chorus, "my God shall supply every need of yours"... He has, let me just tell you! God has been so gracious to me (and patient I might add)! Not only has God provided a sweet friend who checks in daily after lunch to see if she is needed to help with homework that day, BUT I've actually turned her down a time or two because I've been jealous for that time?!. It's been known to get crazy at our house during homework time (let's face it, I now have 5 special needs children), but I now look forward to it... organized chaos, as we affectionately called it back in my camp days... I realized I had too many other things last year that fought for my attention, wearing me down... good things battling my attention away from the greater things... anyways, maybe I'll chase that tangent more later...

* Eyasu, which translates to Joshua in English, is now introducing himself as "Eyasu Merida" and occasionally, "Joshua". His name will legally change to Joshua by the end of the year, but he is free to go by Eyasu for as long as he wants... it's the same name... and we love it... We may refer to him as Eyasu or Joshua interchangeably... I know some of you have been confused by it, so I hope that helps you understand a little... This morning on our way to school he asked me to play the clapping song... So, I played it... Chris Tomlin's "Let God Arise" song on one of the Passion CDs.... Eyasu has been going around the house singing "Our God is a God who saves... our God is a God who saves.." (perfectly in tune too:-)... He doesn't quite understand it yet, but he is singing the meaning of his name... tears are streaming down my face (just so you know)...
Ok, so I didn't even scratch the surface of life these days... After homework was finished yesterday, I put my feet up on the porch (where I sit typing this morning), enjoyed a breeze and praised God for His provision and care... I'm resting in Him this morning... flooded with peace as the daughter of the Most High King (the God who saves)... filled with joy at the incredible honor to be a mom to such beautiful children... blessed to be the wife of my best friend, who is a man after God's heart...
(cell phone photo opp out the side window of my van this morning)
God shall arise, his enemies shall be scattered;
and those who hate him shall flee before him!
Sing to God, sing praises to his name;
lift up a song to him who rides through the deserts;
his name is the
Lord;
exult before him!
Father of the fatherless and protector of widows
is God in his holy habitation.
Blessed be the Lord,
who daily bears us up;
God is our salvation.
Our God is a God of salvation,
and to
God, the Lord, belong deliverances from death.
Awesome is God from his sanctuary;
the God of Israel—he is the one who gives power and strength to his people.
Blessed be God!
Psalm 68:1, 4-6, 19-20, 35

4 comments:

Cath said...

You sure have a lot going on! You know you're doing a great job when all your kids are happy and smiling. :) I was surprised with James back in grade 4 this year. We had our daughter Oksana repeat grade 4 also. We recently moved and she doesn't have access to the ESL teacher anymore in this new school. The teacher she has is very good with her and so far Oksana is having a wonderful year. You've probably heard of her but my daughter and I love listening to Brit Nicole, I would bet your daughters would love her music too. Oksana often walks around the house singing her tunes. :) Anyway...just thought I'd say hi and comment.
Take Care
Catherine

Unknown said...

I love you and was more than blessed by your heartfelt sharing... thanking HIM for the giver of all good gifts...you are a gift to me as are those 5 precious grandchildren....how blessed am I! Mama

Conethia and Jim Bob said...

It sounds as though things are going wonderfully. You have a beautiful family!

Praying for patience is a daily ritual for me as well. Homework time is also challenging for my little ones (much less yours X's 5). Taking a deep breath every once in a while works pretty well. If you find out that magical "secret" for completing homework in a timely and (sigh) "quiet" manner, PLEASE share ;) Keep it up! You guys are doing wonderful with the kids.

Cassc said...

Great update, you probably don't even realize it but you put such inspiration in there for the rest of us! Since you brought up homework time, do you have any tip/routines that are helping/working well for you family regarding getting through homework (or just getting thorough the day!) as a family of 7?