Thursday, September 23, 2010

Homework Strategies (if you will)...

I knew Monday would be a little challenging and recruited some fabulous help to complete a dreaded task: another round of vaccinations required to stay in public school for our little guy. Have I mentioned that he is the sweetest little boy on the planet? Tony was away speaking at StudentLife Refuge, so I recruited our friend Amy to help with crowd control at the Pediatric Clinic after school. She kept the girls in the lobby doing homework while James played big brother to Eyasu. It was awful. He screamed at the near sight of a needle. James teared up as he watched. When it was done, I just rocked my near 50 pounds son with his head on my shoulder. The good news: he bounced back quickly (especially when I asked him if he wanted to go get ice cream... it was a miracle - ha)...
Tuesday afternoon was the most challenging homework day. All five had it! Someone asked me for some strategies for this.... Hmmm... Here's what I do each day... maybe you'll find something of value? I love taking the kids to school. It is a sweet time together. We always talk about the day or remaining week ahead and then spend some time in prayer. Sometimes the kids lead the prayer time. I cherish that time. Then it's yogurt, cereal, banana or granola bar kisses and they're out the door.

Then I'm off to do my daily tasks at home, or meetings or whatever... During that window, I try to organize assignments ahead of time. The most helpful thing for me is the weekly syllabus provided by each of the kid's teachers. My 2nd and 3rd grader practically have the same routine each week (spelling, story, with occasional math or language sheet). My 3rd grader is one of the most demanding at homework time, either by desiring my constant attention or by inserting them self in to what everyone else is doing. So, I'm working on ways to 'lovingly' and 'patiently' keep them on track. It's difficult at times, I'm not going to lie... Meanwhile, my 2nd grader mostly sits patiently until she can get a word in or receive her due assistance.

My 1st grader is easiest for me to prepare for. She has options for homework. Once I receive the syllabus I mark the ones we'll do that week and strategize the 'when'. Of course, some afternoons my 1st grader is worthless so homework is hence modified. I think she, having been separated the earliest from any sort of nurture, may suffer slightly with some institutional A.D.H.D. She is bright and when she is 'on' she does fairly well. Time, stability and nurture has reaped great growth and development in her adorable (and sassy:-) self. Like all my children, she has a wonderful teacher.

My 4th grader is sometimes a wild card with homework (meaning I can't really prepare for what he'll have). He is doing fabulous and we are definitely affirmed in our decision to repeat. Not only does he have an excellent teacher but his confidence level greatly improves his motivation to work. Sometimes he has his homework finished before getting out of the van! He not only wants to be the first person to do his homework, but he wants to do it correctly. Huge improvement!

Our newest addition, our Kindergardener, watches all of this and wants to participate as well. :-) Of course, he wants to do what everyone else is doing. I'll confess, he is getting the homework shaft. His siblings are demanding, but we're getting there. I've put him on the computer to work on www.starfall.com, his letters and such. He LOVES this and is doing fairly well with it. He cracks me up when he comes up and wants me to lean down so he can whisper in my ear, "Mama, co-poot-ah?" How can I resist?!.

The short answer to the homework strategy is: pray, plan and put in stations or timed rotations - ha! (Thought I'd use a little alliteration like my preacher husband :-)...
Rarely, are all five kids around the table at the same time to do homework... too crazy. My homework rotations involve something like these: snack time on the porch, computer time, play outside or upstairs OR be seated and get started.
Here's Victoria reading her story...
Jana doing a word search with all her spelling words in it... she LOVES word searches...
Eyasu practicing his numbers and name... he has been writing some of these sideways... His teacher and I are evaluating this and it may require a trip to the eye doctor... however, every time he finishes something he'll turn to me and say, "Mama, Gobez?" (meaning "good"?)
James makes me laugh because, as one of our family friends put it, "You know when it's Saturday at the Merida's because James is running around the backyard with his shirt off!" Below, he is doing some graphing. He LOVES math...
Angela is working on some math as well, but she particularly LOVES learning cursive writing and is doing quite well with it...
I almost forgot to mention, we finished homework in time to escape to the community swimming pool. It was a refreshing release of energy. Our friend, Darla with her 1 year old met us there and the kids went wild - ha! Once again, I thought they'd be worn out and ready for bed after dinner... turns out I WAS the ONE exhausted even into Wednesday - ha! Figures... Well, I'm off to a meeting...

No comments: