Sunday, August 31, 2008

Since I've Been Back...

I'd thought I'd humor you with the past few days since my return from Virginia...

I arrived Wednesday evening feeling quite under the weather to news of Hurricane Gustav's path toward New Orleans.  I had not watched television for a couple days...

I met the moving company packers Thursday morning and worked alongside of them trying to separate the things I needed.  I took an hour break to attend NOBTS chapel and hear Tony preach a powerful message on the Church. We finished packing in the late afternoon and then I began defrosting the refrigerator, among other things.  It was a late night of tying up loose ends...

The movers arrived at 7:00 AM Friday morning and finished loading us up at 11:15 AM.  We turned in our keys, grabbed lunch at a drive-thru and hit the road for Hattiesburg. We made it in perfect time to go by the bank, do our walk-thru and go to closing on our new house by 3:00 PM.  Afterwards we ran by the electric company and met our movers back at the house at 5:00 PM.  They were incredible workers and finished unloading all of our stuff by 9:30 PM before heading back to Baton Rouge.  Tony and I went back to the house we've been staying in for showers and sound sleep...  

I did not get up Saturday morning until 10:00 AM!  I needed the sleep, healing and recovery time. Tony had a sweet morning of study and sermon preparation.  Once I finally arose, I went straight to work on unpacking boxes from 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM.  Then, Tony and I met up with dear friends from Temple at the USM season opener football game.  What fun!  We ended up leaving, however at half-time in order to finish a few things at our new house and get some rest for Sunday...

Though today has been a wonderful day of worship, fellowship, as well as a little work on the house... tears have been shed over loved ones on the evacuation quest from Greater New Orleans area.  It was three years ago Friday that Hurricane Katrina reaped havoc along the Gulf Coast.  When Tony and I left the first place we had evacuated to (following the devastating news of broken levees) heading toward Kentucky, we wept and sang praise to God along with Shane & Shane's rendition of the great hymn "It Is Well"... As we sang hymns of worship this morning, I could not help but reflect on the challenges of that time.  We left a stressed out and anxious city Friday praying for God's protection, His peace and His provision over His people.  May God be glorified through this and His Great Name praised!  He is King and He is worthy!  We wait and rest in Christ alone...


No comments: