Monday, April 13, 2009

We Got Our Court Date

 After a losing battle with our foreign washing machine, I gave in to traditional hand-washing.  It was quite a workout.  Sadly, upon our return this evening our clothes and towels were still wet.  Perhaps the night will bring better results (ha ha)...

     We made it to the orphanage around 1:45 PM (after some errands) just in time to join the older children for a concert.  It was quite entertaining.  Some of the Eastern dances got a little scandalous for our taste (i.e. belly dancing and all, ha ha), but the kids enjoyed a little cultural experience.  




     We had to leave the orphanage once the concert was over to sign documents at the courthouse with our facilitator.  When all was said and done there, we were informed that since there are four kids to be adopted there are two required court dates.  The preliminary hearing will be done without us on Friday (4/17) and our official court date will be Tuesday (4/21) at 10:00 AM.  Please pray that things will continue to go smoothly with the legal process.  We have a fabulous team working on our behalf. Quite a blessing.  

     We stopped back by the orphanage on our way to the city where we're staying to spend a few minutes with all the kids (the younger two had been in nap time during the concert).  The room available for us to visit in was the younger children's sleep-room.  There were probably 25 small size beds spread out in this one little room with each child's name above them.  Sobering.  We had brought notebooks with pens so they could write or draw.  The youngest (who we'll just call "Joy" for now) spent her time either jumping on the beds or trying to get in on the action of her older siblings (she is adorable and energetic).  The next to youngest (who we'll just call "Sophia" for now) drew a house for us and played a little with a ball Tony had brought.  The older two (we'll just call "James" and "Grace") went between drawing in their books to playing with the ball to wanting to see the camera and attempting to go through my purse.  We will need a lesson in boundaries (ha ha).   We enjoyed our time with the kids, though brief, and felt like they are warming up to us more and more.  I wrote this morning in my journal in amazement of how much love is in my heart for these precious ones whom I barely know!  God is so good.  

Our driver (Oleg) and translator (Jana) took us to the grocery store before home so we could get a few more items to cook for meals.  We also hit the McDonald's drive-thru before getting home (we hadn't had lunch and were starving).  I laughed with Tony about how we never eat McD's in the states.  In fact, I don't remember the last time I had it? I'm not the biggest fan.  However, it is a little piece of home and seems to taste slightly better over here in Ukraine.  :)

I don't think we can tell you enough how grateful we are for you and how encouraged we are by your prayerful support.  May our Sovereign Father fill you up to the measure of all the fullness of Christ Jesus as you seek His glory!

7 comments:

Elsie Hall said...

April 21--I'll be praying! I love hearing about the little personalities of your children! They are so blessed to be joining your family! Kim, your parents always opened their doors to every child who came to them--I can't think of a better family for these precious children to join! Love ya!

Lindsey Moore said...

It took me a while to find your blogspot but I am so glad that I finally did. Your stories have brought tears of joy to my eyes and I have been thinking of you and praying for you daily. It warms my heart to hear of all these wonderful blessings and I can't wait to see what it is to come! I love you guys and I can't tell you enough how incredibly happy I am for you all!!!!

Conethia and Jim Bob said...

April 21st is to be a great day. That's our "gotcha day". I know special things are going to happen that day. Rest easy. You'll be a mommy in just over a week.

Becca said...

Haha... one of the most awkward experiences of my life involved a belly dancer... and we shall leave it at that. :-P

Rick, Denise, Erick & Nicholas Morton said...

O.K., just wanted to keep it real. You are about to have 4 kids under the age of 10. McDonald's could be claimed as a dependent on you next tax return. Also, forget boundaries. Just enjoy the few days you have left when you can go to the bathroom without someone beating on the door!!!

We love you guys and are excited about the progress. We can't wait to see the kids!!!!

Rick

ArtworkByRuth said...

We had two court hearings as well, wished we could have missed the first one though it was very procedural! It will go quickly. I love those dancing pictures! Imagine having to wash and dry those dresses! LOL! (Does your radiator work?)

momma B said...

Hey Kim I love Rick and Denise comments, how true, but it will all be good. Can't wait to me our new GRANDCHILDREN. Momma B